Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What's wrong with freckles? And other complaints

Recently the other day while watching T.V. I was startled by the contents of a certain commercial...


Essentially, they're advertising this as a makeup that makes you look Photoshopped. That removes all your "imperfections" - like freckles, in the case of Emma Stone.

Where to I even start with this?

Maybe with the ludicrous idea that you need to be Photoshopped for your day to day life (or at all for that matter)? Or maybe with the fact that Emma Stone with her freckles is drop dead gorgeous? Or that anyone with freckles, should never feel the need to cover them up?

I, personally, don't have freckles all the time. They only appear in the summer. But once that warm weather hits they appear like its nobodies business. Across my face, my arms, my legs. Anywhere I get sun exposure. And I have never felt the need to cover them up. Why would I? They're just freckles. 

I am so frequently annoyed by the constant pressure on women (and men) to change things that don't need to be changed. I'm not a big makeup person myself. A little neutral eye shadow and some mascara and I'm good to go in the morning. And I have nothing against those who do wear makeup. On some people it looks absolutely gorgeous. But it's the expectation of makeup. The way we're made to feel as though it is required of us that drives me mad. 

I once worked a job, where I was told everything I was doing was great but I needed to start wearing more make up. I fail to see how the amount of makeup a wear is a legitimate criticism of my job performance and still wonder whether the sexism of this comment was lost on them. Needless to say I did not stay at that job very long. 

I guess all I'm trying to say is that if you want to wear makeup great, all the power to you. But if you don't that's great too. No one should have to feel like they have to wear makeup and more importantly, they shouldn't feel as though they need to look like a Photoshopped magazine ad to get noticed and be respected. 

Oh and FRECKLES PRIDE! 

1 comment:

  1. I always thought that makeup was meant to enhance someone's natural beauty and freckles would be part of that. (Also hide spots or minor imperfections) I have never had freckles, but I think they're cute.

    I wear makeup quite often, mostly because I want to hide dark circles. No matter how much sleep I get I always have them. I can't believe that someone told you at a job that you should wear more makeup. That's awful. My favorite part of my day is when I can come home, get in my jimjams and wash off my makeup.

    ReplyDelete