Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Hunger Games Movie

This past weekend I (and many many others) made my way to the movie theatre to check out the long awaited film adaptation of the Hunger Games.

STOP! Before you read any further be warned this post WILL contain SPOILERS for The Hunger Games. So if you haven't read the books or seen the movie, go do so before you read on.




I was unbelievably excited for this movie before it came out. I teared up whenever I saw the trailer. I had a compulsive urge to run into a room whenever I heard the Hunger Games mentioned and bellow - yes bellow - HUUNNGGEERR GAAAMMES. It was terribly annoying for all those that had to put up with me. But I couldn't help it. I. Was. Excited.

Now having seen the movie it feels like a huge weight of expectation has been lifted off my shoulders and I can, honestly 100% say that I really liked the movie. I didn't love it. But I really enjoyed it.

The first thing I want to say, before I get into the nitty gritty details of my opinions, is that I loved all the actors. Everyone was incredibly talented and even people I had my doubts about (*cough* Woody Harrelson) were fantastic. Also the settings - both the Capitol and the Arena were gorgeous. So much to look at and take in.

The majority of issues I have with the movie, are simply things that weren't included. The rationale part of me knows that they can't include everything and that it can still be enjoyable and entertaining without them but the crazy fangirl in me gets a little stompy when she see's they're not there. For instance the way they changed how Katniss acquired the Mockingjay pin and the fact that Peeta's father doesn't bring her cookies after the reaping. I think these moments send an important message about the people throwing their hope/faith behind her.

I also didn't think it was very clear why the people of District 11 were revolting. In the film version it looks like they're simply revolting because Rue dies. And not that her death isn't significant, but if the death of one of their children was enough to provoke a rebellion why hadn't there been one in the 73 years preceding this Hunger Games or why wasn't there any revolts in other districts? I think it was a mistake not to include Rue telling Katniss about how poor they were and how, even though they grew a lot of the food, they didn't have much of it themselves.

And am I crazy but did the time in the arena fly by? It was like BAMN you're in the arena. Run Run Run. Major plot points and then next thing you know - berry scene. I blame it on the sheer amount of background they had to give at the beginning. I think Catching Fire is going to be a lot better because so much of the background will be out of the way.

And as a final thought I am EXTREMELY disappointed with all the people who were upset that Rue, Thresh and Cinna were black. You people don't deserve the Hunger Games.

So what did you think of the Hunger Games? Was it everything you had hoped for? Was there anything you would've liked to see but was left out?

2 comments:

  1. wait. People were disappointed that Rue, Thresh, and Cinna were black? Rue was definitely black in the books, pretty sure that Thresh was as well. Don't know about Cinna, but considering hollywood and book covers white wash characters all the time I think it's good that we see kind of the opposite happening this time. Anyway, they were all perfection, so haters to the left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the movie as well, but I had a few problems with it myself. Actually a lot of problems, but nothing really enough to disturb my enjoyment of the film itself.

    Except for one. One thing that really bothered me.

    No one looked hungry. At all. Everyone had toned muscles, perfect skin, no tired eyes. No distention when faced with a smorgasboard on the train. Even in the flashback to Peeta giving Kat the bread, she just looks depressed, not hungry.

    If you're going to get one thing right about the Hunger Games... I'm just saying...

    ReplyDelete